Activity Holidays in Upper Austria
Mountains, Lakes and Rolling Hills
An activity holiday in Upper Austria will make your heart sing! A fantastic array of activities is waiting for you the whole year round - for a holiday with your partner, family or friends! Pitch in on the farm, go hiking, swimming, cycling or horse riding. Winter sports, traditional customs and cultural events are the icing on the cake. The hosts on our family farms are looking forward to welcoming you!
A Breathtaking Panorama
Hiking Guarantees Unrivalled Moments of Joy
What makes your heart sing: a scenic hike with a stunning lake view in the Salzkammergut region? Standing on the summit in the Kalkalpen National Park region? Or are you longing for the endless expanses in the Mühlviertel or the Innviertel-Hausruckwald region? Wherever you go in Upper Austria, a panorama that takes your breath away is around the corner.
Quality & Trust
A land of plenty
Upper Austria - diverse culture, cuisine, natural gems & relaxation
A warm welcome
on our family farms with friendly, genuine and down-to-earth hosts
Careful & safe
Your health is our utmost priority
Top 5 Hikes in Upper Austria
Highlights from Every Region
- “5fingers” on the summit of Dachstein-Krippenstein in the Salzkammergut region: Spectacular vantage point. In the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage site protecting the Dachstein glacier, this lookout sticks out like a hand over a precipice of 400 meters. Not for the faint-hearted!
- Tree top trail in Kopfing in the Innviertel-Hausruckwald region: Feel free as a bird on this nature trail in the tree tops. Discover the fascinating world of trees and the forest ecosystem with fun activities.
- Hike to the mountain cabin “Gowilalm” in the Kalkalpen National Park region: Idyllic cabin in the Alps surrounded by alpine pastures! Starting from Spital am Pyhrn, the tour takes you across beautiful alpine pastures covered with wild flowers. Would you like to reach the top of a mountain? Experienced mountaineers and climbers can continue their way up to the top of the mountains Kleiner or Großer Pyhrgas.
- “Granite” pilgrimage route in the Mühlviertel region: Walk across the undulating hills and mystical forests for three to four days. Practice mindfulness at energising places on the way: old castles, chapels in the forest, natural monuments. The perfect way to find inner peace!
- Pöstlingberg in Linz - Zentralraum region: The mountain Pöstlingberg overlooks the city of Linz. You can either walk to the top or take a ride in the nostalgic “Pöstlingbergbahn”, one of Europe’s steepest narrow-gauge railways! On the top, the tramway “Grottenbahn” takes you through the fantastic realm of fairy tales and dwarves. Visit the majestic church of pilgrimage.
A Paradise for Horse Enthusiasts
The Greatest Happiness ...
Rejoice in a region that seems to be made for horses and horse lovers: “Pferdereich Mühlviertler Alm” in the heart of the Mühlviertel region. Explore the wide expanses, rolling countryside and endless forests on horseback. Our special recommendation: trail riding. With 420 km of marked trails, the Innviertel-Hausruckwald region is an ideal spot for trail riding. In the heart of the region, you can find the equestrian centre “Hausruckhof” and the horse riders’ village Ampflwang. Sit back and relax in a horse-drawn carriage that takes you through the mountains of the Kalkalpen National Park region. In winter, a ride in a horse-drawn sleigh in the snowy Salzkammergut region is an unforgettable memory.
Cycle Tours for Everyone
Leisurely Rides or Demanding Trails
Explore Upper Austria’s unique landscape by bicycle. But where to go? These are our favourite cycle tours:
- Bike tour and cultural heritage along the artificial channel “Schwarzenbergscher Schwemmkanal” in the Bohemian Forest
- Challenging mountain biking tours in the “land of granite” in the heart of the Mühlviertel region
- Demanding route around the massif Dachstein with up to 7,900 m elevation gain ... or more relaxed by e-bike
- “BergeSeen eTrail” in the Salzkammergut region - an e-bike trail guiding you past stunning mountains and lakes in 1 to 10 stages
- Long-distance cycling route “Donauradweg” following the Danube river from the “land of cider” (Upper Austria) to the “land of wine” (Lower Austria)
Many of our farms are specialised in hosting cyclists. From some of them, you can even rent e-bikes.
Lend the Farmers a Hand!
Help in the Barn or in the Fields
Would you like to lend the farmers a hand? Alright, then. Pitch right in! Muck out, feed the animals, cut the grass, chop some wood or harvest vegetables from the farmer’s garden. Every season comes with a range of different tasks to be done. Life on a farm is exciting and diverse. Take a look behind the scenes and learn what it’s like to live and work on a farm!
Care for a Refreshment on a Hot Summer’s Day?
Swimming in Crystal-Clear Lakes
Jump into the refreshing water! That’s what most people want to do during the summer months. Upper Austria boasts plenty of crystal-clear mountain lakes and rivers as well as public pools and natural swimming pools. And the best thing is: the water quality couldn’t be better! Some farms even have a swimming pond or a private beach on the lakeshore. Our top picks:
- Jump into Lake Gleinkersee - a real gem in Spital am Pyhrn
- Drift on the Enns river on a giant wooden raft
- The water of the picture-perfect lakes Traunsee, Attersee, Mondsee, Wolfgangsee & others is even safe to drink!
- Water sports on the Lipno Reservoir in Czech Republic - only a stone’s throw from the Mühlviertel region
Take a Relaxing Spa Break
Saunas, Steam Baths & More
Recreation for adults, splashy fun for kids - the spas in the Innviertel-Hausruckwald region are the ideal choice for both. Visit the “Eurothermen Resort” in Bad Schallerbach including the water park “Aquapulco Pirate World” and the spa “Therme Geinberg”. Excellent activities for rainy days! Basking in the heat of a sauna or steam bath is incredibly relaxing. By the way: we know a lot of farms with a private sauna. Allow yourself to fully unwind in peace and tranquillity, far away from the crowds. Simply relax!
Walking in a Winter Wonderland
An Enchanting Winter Landscape
And within the blink of an eye, it’s winter time. Now it’s time to go out and explore the snow-covered countryside! Have you ever walked through the muffled silence of a hill covered in deep snow with snowshoes on? Have you ever moved smoothly and gracefully across glistening fields on cross-country skis? Build snowmen, practice ice stock sport, toboggan down the snowy slope in the garden - there’s never a dull moment on the farm! We even have family farms with a private ski lift.
Several ski resorts in Upper Austria attract winter sports enthusiasts from afar:
- “Dachstein West” - Gosau, Rußbach, Annaberg
- “Freesports Arena Dachstein Krippenstein”
- “Höss” in Hinterstoder and “Wurzeralm” in Spital am Pyhrn
- “Kasberg” in the Almtal valley
- “Feuerkogel” in Ebensee
- “Hochficht” in the Mühlviertel region
So, now stop looking at your screen and go on an activity holiday in Upper Austria!